When I activated WP Super Cache plugins for the website http://www.tracksandtrails.ca/ it showing the error.
WP Super Cache is disabled. Please go to the plugin admin page to enable caching. See the picture bellow.
When I clicked to the link plugin admin page it also show error bellow.
Warning! /home/tracksandtrails/tracksandtrails.ca/wp-content/advanced-cache.php does not exist or cannot be updated.
1. If it already exists please delete the file first.
2. Make /home/tracksandtrails/tracksandtrails.ca/wp-content writable using the chmod command through your ftp or server software. (chmod 777 /home/tracksandtrails/tracksandtrails.ca/wp-content) and refresh this page. This is only a temporary measure and you’ll have to make it read only afterwards again. (Change 777 to 755 in the previous command)
3. Refresh this page to update /home/tracksandtrails/tracksandtrails.ca/wp-content/advanced-cache.php
If that doesn’t work, make sure the file /home/tracksandtrails/tracksandtrails.ca/wp-content/advanced-cache.php doesn’t exist:
1. Open /home/tracksandtrails/tracksandtrails.ca/wp-content/plugins/wp-super-cache/advanced-cache.php$wp_cache_file in a text editor.
2. Change the text CACHEHOME to /home/tracksandtrails/tracksandtrails.ca/wp-content/plugins/wp-super-cache/
3. Save the file and copy it to /home/tracksandtrails/tracksandtrails.ca/wp-content/advanced-cache.php and refresh this page.
After made the advance_super_cache.php and refresh the browser
How I fix it is simple?
First I go to the root directory via filezilla you can use other method. Then find in yourdomain/wp-content/ the file advanced-cache.php if exist delete the file. then refresh the browsers. Now it showing another error.
Error: Your cache directory (/home/tracksandtrails/tracksandtrails.ca/wp-content/cache/) or /home/tracksandtrails/tracksandtrails.ca/wp-content need to be writable for this plugin to work. Double-check it.
Cannot continue… fix previous problems and retry.
Now I changed the permission for Cache folder in the root directory of the site. see the picture bellow how to change the permission. Changed the numeric value 644 to 777.
Refresh your browser. You will see a warning.
Warning! /home/tracksandtrails/tracksandtrails.ca/wp-content is writeable!
You should change the permissions on /home/tracksandtrails/tracksandtrails.ca/wp-content and make it more restrictive. Use your ftp client, or the following command to fix things: chmod 755 /home/tracksandtrails/tracksandtrails.ca/wp-content/
Now go to the root directory of your site and back the permission as were. Again refresh the browser and see alright now. Everything sets up for fixing the error.
Now you can customize the WP Super Cache plugins setup.